Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Catalyst pre-activation
11-17-2014, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2014 12:55 PM by i.kovacs.)
Catalyst pre-activation
We have received the following question to askthechemist@thalesnano.com:

I’m developing some metallic heterogeneous catalysts for the hydrogenation reactions and I’ll test them in continuous flow using your equipment. I was wondering if it is possible to make an pre-activation of my supported catalysts by flowing hydrogen gas through the catalyst bed at 100 degrees C before starting the hydrogenation reaction in liquid phase. I read the manual, but didn’t found this option. Is it possible to do it in the H-Cube? If not, do you have a suggestion how to activate the catalyst inside the tube used for the catalyst bed and connect it to the reactor?

The easiest way would be to use the lowest possible flow rate for the liquid (0.3 mL/min if it an H-Cube Pro, 0.1 mL/min if it is an H-Cube), and use the system normally.

I have just made a test for you, using an H-Cube Pro and an external pump so I could set 0.1 mL/min flow rate. After priming the reaction line I have started the pump at 0.1 mL/min, then set 20 bar reaction pressure and pressed start, when the system was stable (constant T, p, hydrogen flow), then I stopped the pump. I have stopped the system after 30 mins, when the system was still stable. Using this method your catalyst can be pre-activated only with H2 gas (you need very little time at the beginning for priming and stabilizing, when solvent is used).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply