IceCube™ Flow Reactor
Safe and easy exothermic reactions
- High energy reactions can be performed in a safe manner through excellent temperature control (f9om -70 °C to +80°C)
- Modular system with software control
- Two reactors are connected in sequence to react any hazardous intermediates generated immediately, without isolation
- Continuous real time feedback on the reaction parameters
- Fast response to temperature change to avoid generation of side product
- Built-in safety features, automatic blockage/leakage detection
- High chemical resistance allowing the use of different reagents, even strong acids
- Easy scale-up from milligram to kilogram scale
How does it work?
The IceCube™ functions with Peltier plates technology to cool down to -70 °C or -50 °C using only tap water and electric power. The reaction channel is a PTFE tube with variable lengths, embodied in a metallic plate fixed on the Peltier plate. The starting/quenching materials are delivered continuously into the temperature-controlled reaction zones by the pumps and the product is collected in the end in a vial, flask or vessel.
The system composed by 4 modules: Ozone Module, Pump Module, Reactor Module and Control Module. This makes the system highly customizable, the modules can be configured or purchased separately to match the arrangement that suits the selected application.
The Ozone Module gives you a safe and efficient way of generating ozone from oxygen. The oxygen amount is precisely controlled through the built-in mass flow controller. The system can also be used as a powerful and compact standalone ozonizer.
The Reactor Module is a very versatile reactor capable of controlling even extremely exothermic reactions safely and simply. Composed of two reactor plates with Peltier heating/cooling, the main zone works from -70 °C or -50 °C to 80 °C and the secondary from -30 °C to 80 °C. The reaction line is made of PTFE embedded in a pair of aluminium plates that allow many different volumes and arrangements for wide chemical compatibility. The system can be configured for 2, 3 or 4 reactants in one sequence. Difficult or dangerous reactions such as lithiation, azide generation or ozonolysis can be performed and quenched immediately eliminating the risk associated to dangerous intermediates.
The Pump Module consists of 2 rotary piston pumps, which have good chemical compatibility. The pumps are connected to two 3-way valves, which control the path of reactant or solvent through the reactor. Single or multiple pump modules can be purchased depending on the need of the chemist.
The Control Module enables the control of all the above parts as a whole system via a touch screen interface.
|Pressure capability||Max. 6 bar|
|Main reactor zone temp.||From -70 or -50 °C to 80 °C|
|Main reactor zone volume||Max. 8 mL|
|Quench reactor zone temp.||From -30 °C to 80 °C|
|Quench reactor zone volume||Max. 4 mL|
|Tubing||1/16″ or 1/8″ PTFE|
|Liquid flow rates||0.2 – 4 mL/min|
|Oxygen flow rate||10 – 100 mL/min|
|Ozone production||up to 14% (at 20 NmL/min O2 flow rate)|
|Minimum purity of oxygen||99.5%|
|Ozone Module||Width: 427 mm|
Height: 220 mm
Depth: 330 mm
Weight: 11 kg
|Pump Module||Width: 215 mm|
Height: 378 mm
Depth: 417 mm
Weight: 14 kg
|Reactor Module||Width: 534 mm|
Height: 377 mm
Depth: 423 mm
Weight: 38 kg
|Control Module||Width: 202 mm|
Height: 158 mm
Depth: 224 mm
Weight: 3 kg
- Pump Module (with two rotatory piston pumps)
- Ozone Module (optional)
- Reactor Module
- Control Module
- Ozonolysis (2 pumps are used and the Ozone Module)
- 2 pumps with 1 reactor zone (2 pumps and the main reactor zone are in use)
- 3 pumps with 2 reactor zones (3 pumps and both reactor zones are in use)